Thursday, October 27, 2011

Home Beer Brewing

In case you haven't guessed, the change in my blog is to reflect my new hobby. Beer Brewing!!! So here are a few pics to reflect my experience of my first home brew.

Here is some of my equipment. Bottling bucket, bottle brush, capper, raking cane, siphon tube, etc.
Fermentation bucket, metal spoon, airlock, bottle lid, a device to measure gravity (which name escapes me), and the container it all is sitting on will be where I put the bucket during fermenting in case if overflows.
Here is everything I need to for my first extract brew. Yeast, hops, specialty grains, dark malt extract and muslin bags. You can also see the caps and the priming sugar, but I won't need those until I bottle.
Here is my five gallon brew pot where i will brew my beer or wort (beer term).
Here is the specialty grains in the muslin bag to be added to the pot before I begin boiling.
I keep the grains in here until just before it starts to boil.
Once the boiling begins, I take out the grains and add the extract and the hops.
After the 60min boil, I put my brew pot into an ice bath to chill the wort. The quicker the better.
Two weeks later, I am ready to bottle. I forgot to take a picture of my fermenting setup, but you can get the just of it from this pic. I had the hose in the top of the fermenting bucket that ran into the pitcher of sanitizer you see to the left.
This step is called racking. I use my racking cane to siphone the beer into the bottling bucket.Before I did this, I added the priming sugar and a bit of water to the bottling bucket. The extra sugar will be consumed by the remaining yest once in the bottle. This will carbonate the beer.
Here is Shannon helping me siphon to the bottling bucket.
After bottling, here is my loot. About 50 bottles of beer. They will need at least 10 days in the bottle to carbonate. Though I'll give it some extra time in the bottle to condition. After about two weeks in the bottle, I'll probably refrigerate and start drinking a few.
The beer I brewed was an extract recipe called Beartooth Stout. Its suppose to be similar to Guiness, which is my favorite beer. So it was an obvious choice and it came with the beer brewing kit. Overall the process was fun, but it was a lot of work for a few hours to get it brewed. Everything the beer touches needs to be thoroughly sanitized. Which is kind of a pain in the ass.

I should also note, I screwed up on my first batch.

The first thing I did wrong was when I poured my wort in the fermenting bucket, you need to top it off with water to reach the five gallon mark. I used tap water. I heard that's a no no since the chlorine in the water can cause off flavors in the beer.

The second mistake I made was using the wrong line to fill to. Instead of using the clearly marked five gallon line, I add about an extra gallon or so. The result will be a weaker tasting beer with less head retention and a lower ABV. This was immediately apparent when I took my original gravity reading. It came out to about 1.042, it was suppose to be about 1.050. My final gravity reading once fermentation was done about a week later came out to about 1.012. Do the math and that's about 3% ABV. So yeah, its pretty weak beer. My Bad.

The third mistake came when I was putting the airlock on the lid. I accidentally pushed the rubber grommet into the buck full of beer. I had to stick my arm in it past the elbow to find it. I sanitized my arm first, but that is still gross.

At least it was fun and I learned a lot. My second batch will go much smoother (actually it already did, I did it last night and it was a piece of cake. I'll post pics soon.). On top of that, the home brewing motto is at the top of my blog. RDWHAHB - Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew. The essence of the motto comes from the fact that you never know how the beer is going to turn out until you crack open the first bottle and give it a taste.

Anyways, I'm realizing that I could go on and on about this so I am going to stop now before my post gets any longer. Feel free to ask questions.

Stay Classy.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome that you are getting into making your own beer! You certainly are going in full steam. I remember thing with brewing your own beer is that it is a lot of work.... then you have to wait like a month till you get any of the results lol. I hope it turns out!

    I will mention though, every time you mention "gravity" my eyes bleed a little bit more. Gravity is the acceleration due to the mass of the Earth. Specific Gravity is the density compared to that of water (most common). Specific Gravity. Specific Gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your a nerd when. . .

    To be fair, I've been reading a bunch of beer forums where they say gravity to shorten up the term to make things a little easier. You see, they use a concept called context. Contextually speaking, based on the subject matter, when we say gravity, we are talking about specific gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can tell me that in the context of home brew there is no gravity then I will agree with you. However, if there is gravity present while home brewing, then you are using the incorrect term. And my eyes bleeeeed I tell you, bleed!

    That being sad "sg" or some other abbreviation would be acceptable....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like other people to comment on this. Because I think people are going to take my side on this one. Your just being silly.

    Oh yeah, whatever you do. Don't take up brew brewing as a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I'm an engineer by training, where units are pivotal, and then I professional examine language for clarity as a patent examiner. That being said, yes I'm being silly. But I'm still right lol.

    Anyways, I was thinking of picking it up again at some point, and going a route similar to yours. Though, I might go the keg route. If you brew it in a keg you don't have to worry about bottling. And I think that is the most tedious part of home brew. But then it's harder to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hey, do whatever works for you. Personally, I found bottling to be the most fun part. It was only really difficult cleaning all the bottles because I neglected to rinse them when I drank them initially. If you do start brewing, you should def look into the kit that I got. I specifically chose it because it is easy to build on as I move up to harder brewing. Like partial mash kits and all grain kits.

    ReplyDelete